Thursday 9 August 2012

Where have I been? Distracted!

The New Project

Well the new project is in the editing stage but the progress has not been anywhere near as fast as I would have liked. The "new project" is no longer new of course. It originally came about because I had previously tried to take on a project far too ambitious for my limited resources and to be frank - my limited ability. After calling a day on that undertaking, I met with Mark and Frazer, the writers of the first too-big project to discuss working on something short and sweet. The notion was that we could film it in one weekend, with another weekend for contingency, and then edit together over a week, the end result being a short ten minute film knocked up in no time at all. Mark and Frazer wrote the script and we filmed it. We've got Frazer in the lead role, with Mark and Boppy the cat in a supporting role. We filmed it over two weekends at Frazer's house in Watford. Unfortunately I had other projects pop up which were time critical so editing the new project had to wait until I had a completely clear schedule. After finishing everything on my plate I actually felt a little burned out so I gave myself a couple of weeks off. After the break I found myself drifting and feeling disconnected from my work, struggling to re-engage. Now I have nothing but the new project to edit, it's nice to have some focus to tether me down and stop me floating away. I actually don't want to take anything on until it's done, I have enough distractions! Such as...

Biking

Well both Dee and I are full-time cycle commuters who never gets the train to work. A year ago I never thought I would be able to do it. The 100 miles a week is taking a toll on my bike (and my first proper crash took a toll on my thigh, and on poor Dee who I crashed into) but I am learning to fix the bike up and do modest maintenance myself. I even bought a bike stand so I can elevate it for working! I've disassembled and reassembled several complex parts and replaced and swapped out some others. Feels great to be a bit more independent and I think my new hobby might have been a bit all consuming over the past few months. Spare time I might have previously spent editing has been spent in the garden tinkering on a bicycle, or striding around the house feeling up my new legs and posing in a low mirror. Grrrr MUSCLES. If I get a bit better at bike maintenance maybe I could make some youtube tutorials for making basic repairs. They have saved my bacon multiple times, it would be good to help others in the same boat.

Gaming

There are games that should not be played by people who don't have a lot of time to spare. One of those games is Minecraft. Dee and I have been playing the hell out of it. It's wonderful. But you probably already know that. Do yourself a favour and don't play it, it's too much. But seriously, play it. But seriously, don't. But do. Go on. Don't. Alternatively there is the glory of Max Payne 3 for the shooter fans. Good Lord it's great and trading in some old games allowed me to get it without spending a penny. I've spent hours shooting people repeatedly in the face with machine guns in slow motion. It's what games were made for.

New Kitten

Joe and Suzanne of Frau Pouch infamy recently found themselves with a litter of adorable kittens to find homes for. How could we resist? Meet Jacobean Mugatu, the newest addition to the household. He's one bold-ass kitty, loves people, runs around the house telling the dog off and kicking all kinds of butt. He's sitting behind me mewing into my ear as I type this.

I LOVE HIM

It's actually a relief to be blogging again, even if I am padding it out with inconsequential guff and pictures of awesome kittens. I'll be writing more soon, I'm going to be editing today. The ball is rolling again, it feels good.

Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment