Friday 24 August 2012

Time to upgrade my software...?

My editing companion for several years now has been my trusty pal Final Cut Express. But my workhorse is old and dusty and  no longer has medical coverage. He has his problems and once I finish my current project I think it's time to put him out to pasture.

I google-image searched "old horse" but all the pictures made me sad so here is Batman instead.

I've wanted to move on to the newest version, Final Cut Pro X for a while now. As far as professional level editing software goes, it's reasonably priced at the £200 mark, compared to the £600 plus of other high-end editing software. Some Final Cut Pro users are a little up in arms about the huge changes and some feature losses that the newest incarnation of this software (now download-only) has gone through, ostensibly to make it more user friendly and a little more like iMovie - the free editing software that comes with an iMac.

Well I think it's time I started saving up for Final Cut Pro X. It's all too easy these days to get a cracked or pirated version of software but I really don't want to do that. I want legitimacy, post-sales support, help with bugs, upgrades and updates. I'm a fucking grown-up now goddamnit and I don't want to tinker around on pirated software like a teenager.

So I'm putting my pennies (and I mean pennies) in a jar. If you want to help me make this transition please remember that you can get to Amazon through my blog and any purchases you make during that session will make me a small commission. It won't cost you a farthing of course, just a click of the mouse. Start your Amazon search from the Amazon box in the top right widget on this page to start your session. You can even bookmark my blog for easy access (cheeky request I know)!

Back in June, those of you that were kind enough to do so earned me some new equipment. Thank you so much for that. If you want to help me again, you know what to do!

I've added a visual representation of my progress above the Amazon box on the top right of my blog. It will update as the pennies trickle in.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all your help, past present and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment