Thursday 19 January 2012

Weekend Filming and the Overdrawn Filmmaker

No big updates just yet, but we are taping on Saturday in Watford, in Frazer's flat, with Frazer's cat.

The rehearsal footage has been put together, it is lacking any kind of audio finesse (or even effort) so it certainly feels patchy. I'm looking forward to working on the finished article. I feel ready!

Not sure if we're going to get everything done on the Saturday or if we'll need to go back. We should hopefully get all the scenes done in which Frazer needs his beard so that he can, at least, return to the world of the clean shaven. If he so chooses. 

I don't know if anyone else here is treading a financial tightrope, but I am. It's a struggle to keep the outgoings below the incomings. I have a daily budget, which I made in google spreadsheets (yay spreadsheets!) which helps keep us afloat. I stop paying attention to my bank account for two weeks and...




I'm several hundred pounds beyond my overdraft limit. For no good reason either, just bills and food shopping, pummeling my frail account into oblivion. Although I have no-one to blame but myself. 
I've had to buy my weekend's worth of miniDV tapes on the credit card for now. Going to try and make the few coins I've got in my pocket last til the end of the month. Luckily I've got no video game related tempations as I'm already playing Skyrim, and the delightful Christmas gift that is Batman: Arkham City is waiting on the shelf!

Are you playing Skyrim? That game is immense!! I'm not a fan generally of the fantasy swords and dwarves stuff, but this is not a great genre game, it's a great game full stop. It's actually intefering with my life. Wonder why there hasn't been a blog update for 8 days?

This is why. Partially.
Getting back on track for a second, I have just realised that I don't have the perfect setup regarding audio. I do have a good mic (courtesy of Brian when we were shooting Surviving The Toilet Circuit) but I don't have a good cable to connect it to my camera. I'm using a workaround and some adaptors/extenders. It's a little frail and some noise sometimes makes it into the audio mix, or sometimes the cables just pop apart. I might need to make a quick online purchase, whip this Amazon Prime trial period for all it's worth and get some quick delivery of a good cable before the weekend. On the credit card. Like I need more debt, Jesus. 

Anyone reading this, you don't need me to tell you that Skyrim is a great game, but if you are looking to buy it, if you follow this link - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
 to the Amazon site first then you'll earn me some cash which I can put towards miniDV tapes and decent cables! 

I also got Roger Corman's book How I Made a Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime
 for Christmas so maybe I should get reading that and see if I can transmute any of his life lessons into a cheaper shoot this weekend! Seeing as all it's costing me is tape and train fare, I doubt it, but you never know!



1 comment: